Take control of the railway in Groombridge Signal Box alongside one of our Signalmen!
Our Signalman experience days offer the unique opportunity to work a fully operational signal box and control trains for just £125!
Your day will be based around working Groombridge signal box, the halfway point along our railway. You will be under the guidance and supervision of one of our own Signalman who will take you through the basic controls of the box and then demonstrate to you its operation.
Available on Green timetable days you will start at 10:30 at Groombridge where you will meet the duty Station Master & Signalman. After a brief introduction to the signal box the first train will arrive from Tunbridge Wells West at 10:44. You will be shown the token exchange procedure and how to set a route allowing the train to depart for Eridge, this includes the all important liaison with Oxted Signal Box gaining our authority to open our boundary gate at Birchden Junction.
Throughout the day you will operate mechanical and electrical points, signals and exchange tokens, during which you will gain an understanding of how a signal box operates and familiarise yourself with the different leavers and their meanings. The day will end at approximately 17:00 after the last train has departed for Tunbridge Wells West.
Do you have what it takes to clear a signal from 626yds away, there's only one way to find out, book now!
Please note the following/terms and conditions applicable to our Signalman Experience:
- Participants must be aged 18 or over and in good health.
- Please note that bronze experiences are for one participant only and we cannot accommodate any guests on these days.
- You or the participant must be able to climb a set of 10 steps unassisted to gain access to the Signal Box.
- You must not be under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Smart casual clothing must be worn along with strong boots, we recommend a shirt and jeans with steel toe capped shoes/boots.
- The Spa Valley reserves the right to cancel or suspend a signalman experience if the participant is suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs or is seen to be physically not fit enough to undertake the experience.
- Please do bring a camera if you wish!
- We reserve the right to alter the contents of a signalman experience without prior warning.
- Please make sure you arrive promptly at Groombridge for your experience.
- The Spa Valley Railway signalman on duty has the final say on what takes place.
- There may be times during this experience where you will be asked to observe due to the nature of operating a railway.
You MUST bring your physical printed or e-ticket with you on the day to show the signalman, therefore if you select an e-ticket please ensure you print it off and bring it with you on the day.
You must also adhere to our terms & conditions and wear the correct clothing/boots for the experience.
Note that a £10 admin fee applies to all booking alterations.