Visit of Lancashire & Yorkshire A-Class Locomotive No. 52322!
The Spa Valley Railway is delighted to announce the visit of Andy Booths historic A-Class locomotive to our railway from May to August 2018. At over 120yrs old the engine is still going strong and the visit to the Spa Valley Railway will be the first time this engine has ever been in the South of England. Built in 1896 and outshopped from Horwich Works as Lancashire & Yorkshire No. 1300 the locomotive comes to us for our busy Summer period.
Now numbered with its British Railways number of 52322, the locomotive is now the only remaining member of a once 484 strong class. This will be the first time since its construction that 52322 has operated this far in the South of the country, the locomotive is planned to operate the majority of our Green timetabled services between May and August and will also feature heavily at our Summer Festival on Saturday 30th June and Sunday 1st July.
Data profile of Lancashire & Yorkshire Locomotive No. 52322
• Wheel diameter: 5’ 1”
• Length: 48’ 6”
• Loco weight: 42 long tons 11 cwt
• Total weight: 69 long tons 3 cwt
• Fuel type: Coal
• Boiler pressure: 180 psi
• Cylinders: Two, inside
• Cylinder size: 18” x 26”
• Valve gear: Joy valve gear
• Loco brake: Vacuum
• Train brakes: Vacuum
• Tractive effort: 21,130lbf
• Operator: Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway
• Power classification: LMS & BR: 3F
• Number: 1300 (L&Y) , 12322 (LMS) , 52322 (British Rail)
• Further operating days for the locomotive can be found on our Locomotive Roster page, please click here.
• If you wish to book in advance to travel on other standard operating days then please click here.
• To see our calendar of operating dates please click here.
If you select an e-ticket please ensure you print it off and bring it with you on the day!
Note that a £10 admin fee applies to all booking alterations.