Training and Test Track facilities
The Spa Valley Railway offers facilities for testing and demonstrating new and overhauled railway equipment and rolling stock, plus a training room and training ground for track based staff training.
Obtaining suitable rail based facilities at the right time and cost to suit your business is becoming increasingly difficult. The Spa Valley Railway is located just 18 miles from the M25 and 35 miles from central London, with good rail and road connections.
Our facilities are available both for advanced booking, and frequently also at short notice. Full weekday track possessions can often be arranged if required. We can offer a range of rail types and fixings, track formations, structures and gradients suitable for both low-speed and static testing. Our dedicated track training ground includes short sections of 3rd and 4th conductor rail, and a variety of current standard rail fittings. We can also offer areas suitable for vegetation management, drainage, structures examination, ultrasonic rail testing and a multitude of other railway associated trades
Although not physically connected to the National Network, our site at Tunbridge Wells West has a level unloading area able to receive rail or road/rail vehicles, and is regularly used by the major road/rail heavy haulage companies. Royal Tunbridge Wells has good rail and road access for your staff and visitors. The town also offers a variety of accommodation, dining and entertainment establishments, all within easy walking distance of the Spa Valley Railway.
Our facilities in summary:
- 4 miles of single track running line, plus various sidings / double track sections
- Whole running line passed for passenger operation at 25mph
- Gradients of up to 1 in 88
- Variety of under- and over-bridges, plus a level crossing
- Mixture of 109 & 98lb flat-bottom rail, 95lb bullhead rail on both wooden and concrete sleepers
- Track training ground composing of most fittings found on the national network, including Pan 401, BR Mk1, ‘e’ clips, HSC, KT and Fastclip fittings on F27, G44, wooden or steel sleepers and incorporating 109, 110A and 113A flat bottom rail, and 95lb bullhead with wooden and steel keys.
- Rail vehicle maintenance pit
- Dedicated training room
- Catering facilities if required
- Air and vacuum-braked rolling stock available by arrangement, including locomotives classes 10, 33, & 73, plus a variety of engineers wagons, passenger coaches and multiple units.
We have already provided training and testing facilities for track tamping machines, road rail vehicle training, vegetation flailing & spraying demonstrations. We also host equipment demonstrations, fencing operations, bridge examination, track induction courses, track tools training and locomotive/machine driver training.
We will be happy to work with you to find a solution to your training or testing needs.
Please contact us here to discuss how we can help your company.