The Spa Valley Railway is a great choice for your special event or occasion. From a private reserved compartment to an entire special train, with or without catering, there are a number of ways to make your day an unforgettable experience.
Special Charter Trains
We are able to offer private trains after our scheduled passenger services or on otherwise non-running days, both at very reasonable prices. Alternatively you can hire a compartment, saloon or carriage on a scheduled service.
We try to be as flexible as possible to your needs. Please contact the ticket office by email to discuss your requirements.
As a guide, if you wish to charter a whole steam train - including the bar car 'Kate' - on a day which we aren't already operating prices start at £1,500, but the price will vary dependent on the number of journeys undertaken and guests who are travelling.
For 20 or more persons when booked in advance only.
The Spa Valley Railway offers the following discounts on Green, Yellow or Purple Timetable Days only.
- Adults/Seniors - £2 discount on the standard adult/senior fare for Groombridge or Eridge return tickets.
- Child - £1 discount on the standard child fare for for Groombridge or Eridge return tickets.
- To qualify for a group discount you must book in advance and the group size must be of 20 or more persons.
- We do not offer discounts for groups of 19 or less persons.
- We do not offer discounts on any Dining Train regardless of group size.
- We do not offer discounts on any Single tickets to any station or return tickets to High Rocks.
- We do not offer discounts on any tickets for group bookings during any special event.
If you wish to make an enquiry for a group booking we need to know the following information to quote accurately: Date you wish to travel, the time of train you wish to travel on, the number of persons you wish to book for.
Weddings at the Spa Valley Railway
Looking for that perfect way to travel to your wedding or perhaps for something completely different for your wedding breakfast/evening function? Then look no further than the Spa Valley Railway!
What can we offer?
- Travel to your ceremony if you're getting married at High Rocks or Groombridge/Groombridge Place.
- Travel from your ceremony to a reception at High Rocks.
- Wedding breakfast on a steam and/or diesel hauled train for up to 120 guests - this can either be a three course meal or buffet.
- Daytime or evening receptions, including buffets, on our train for up to 170 guests. We can operate well into the evening, and after our standard timetabled services finish it becomes your own private train!
- Our award-winning bar car 'Kate' selling real ale, cider, wines, champagne, spirits and soft drinks.
- Private hire of the railway and steam or diesel train on a day we aren't otherwise running.
- Option of decorated carriages.
- A red carpet for the joining and alighting Bride and her party.
- Magicians / childrens entertainers on the train.
- Travel from Tunbridge Wells West, High Rocks, Groombridge or Eridge stations.
When can we accommodate bookings?
Our steam and diesel trains operate from February to October, and we can usually accommodate bookings on any Green or Purple timetabled day. Unfortunately bookings are not available on Orange (special event) days due to the nature of the services we are operating.
We can also offer private hire trains on dates that have no colour/no normal services on our timetable.
The following are some sample costs, although these are variable according to your requirements and may be subject to change. Please contact us for a personalised quotation.
- £100.00 - £200.00 - for a reserved compartment (up to 8 persons) or saloon (up to 12 persons) on the timetabled train of your choice to your wedding ceremony e.g. Tunbridge Wells West to High Rocks or Groombridge to High Rocks.
- £250.00 - £450.00 - for a reserved carriage (up to 48 persons) on a timetabled train of your choice to your wedding ceremony e.g. Tunbridge Wells West to High Rocks or Groombridge to High Rocks.
- £1,500.00 - for the private hire of a steam engine, and up to four carriages, including bar car 'Kate' and up to two journeys to Groombridge.
This is the basic price for a private hire - it will also be subject to an increase dependent on the amount of journeys you wish to take along the line and does not take into account the number of people you wish to travel.
- £120.00 - Your own personalised headboard that will be at the head of your train throughout and one you can take home after your special day.
- Persons travelling are charged at the standard fare less £2 for groups of 20 persons or over on private charter trains.
For further details and to discuss your requirements please send us an email here.