The first diesel event of our 2018 season with all of our servicable homefleet in action on both days!
Featuring all working locomotives from our home fleet, this will be the first diesel event to feature 73140 since 2015! With 3CIG 1497 now resident with us the ED will be able to take part in some very appropriate Southern Push/Pull operation over the whole length of the line.
Joining 73140 will be our two resident 33's, 063 & 201, Class 207 DEMU 1317 along with our resident shunters 2591 & D3489.
The Spa Valley Railway will open from 09:45 each day at Tunbridge Wells West, Eridge will open from 10:30 although the platforms are always accessible.
• Drewry 2591 'Southerham'
• Class 10 D3489 'Colonel Tomline'
• Class 33/0 33063 'R.J.Mitchell'
• Class 33/2 33201
• Class 73 73140
• Class 207 DEMU 1317
• Class 421 3CIG 1497
All of the above locomotives/units are subject to availability.
Our popular two train timetable will be operating on both days. The first train from Tunbridge Wells West will be at 10:30 and from Eridge at 11:15 both days. On the Saturday our main station at Tunbridge Wells West will be open from 09:45 and Eridge from 10:30. The last trains on the Saturday will return to Tunbridge Wells West at approximately 22:15.
On the Saturday morning until around 14:00 our Drewry will be available for Brake Van rides and Driver for a Fiver at Tunbridge Wells West followed by a trip as far as Groombridge with our Class 10 D3489.
The evening Fish & Chip special trains will be hauled by the Class 33's top and tailing.
• Adult Day Rover - £20.00
• Child Day Rover - £10.00
Book online in advance prior to the 10th March and save 25%, discount is applied at the checkout!
Driver for a Fiver
As with all our diesel events, you can have the opportunity to drive one of the locomotives for a short distance at either Tunbridge Wells West or Eridge, these are now available to book online here.
We do not offer any discounts at special events other than the one stated above, this includes reciprocal travel arrangements, HRA passes and we do not accept BR Privs.
At the Stations:
Tunbridge Wells West – Open from 09:45.
• Our Buffet Car 'Emily' will be serving hot and cold drinks and light refreshments.
• Station shop stocking a large variety of diesel traction products, shop will close at approximately 16:30 - 17:30.
• Driver for a Fiver and Brake Van Rides – Book online here
• Miniature Cinema.
• Access to the famous High Rocks or Tea Garden Lane which can provide great photographic opportunities.
• High Rocks Inn and Garden.
• A great place to watch the trains from the Inns' garden.
• Note - not all trains call at High Rocks.
• Trains crossing throughout.
• Popular BBQ on the station!
• Lots of books on our bookstall under the canopy, grab a bargain.
• Photo opportunities from the station bridges.
Eridge - Open from 10:30
• Mainline connections with Southern services to Central London, East Croydon, Oxted and Uckfield.
• 'Driver for a Fiver' in Eridge Bay – Book online here
• Catering on the Station platform. (Temporarily)
Saturday Evening Fish & Chip Dining Train
The first of our popular Fish & Chip Supper trains will be operating on Saturday 10th with top and tail diesel action to Eridge and return for three trips, a delightful menu of Cod & Chips, Sausage & Chips or Spring Roll & Chips are available followed by an Ice Cream dessert. Bookings can be made online now by clicking here.
If you would like to purchase a combined Day Rover & Fish and Chip Supper ticket then it is just £25, a huge saving of £15 on the two tickets combined normal prices! Please note that there is NO 25% discount applied on this combined ticket as it is already heavily discounted from the normal price our Fish & Chip Suppers are sold at.
Sunday Mother's Day Cream Tea
Why not treat mum this Mother's Day as part of our Spring Diesel Gala which is taking place on Sunday 11th March. Enjoy a wonderful Cream Tea on board our 15:00 service from Tunbridge Wells West. As this train is part of our Spring Diesel Gala it will be hauled in both directions by one of our histroic 1960s diesel locomotives.
What’s included in the Cream Tea price?
• One return journey from Tunbridge Wells West to Eridge with Heritage Diesel.
• A traditional Cream Tea served on board one of our heritage carriages.
• Adults - 2x scones, clotted cream, jam and pot of tea.
• Child - 1x scone, clotted cream, jam and carton of orange or apple juice.
Cream Tea Prices:
• Adult – £15
• Child – £7.50
Refreshments at our stations and on the train:
Our award winning on train bar will be open both days from first trains departure to the last trains arrival, this includes Saturday evening trains. 'Kate' will be open for the sale of real ale and cider, sandwiches, crisps, biscuits and other light refreshments during the day.
Our ex BIG TSO(RB) from unit No.2254 (Buffet Brighton, B for Buffet and IG the LB&SCR telegraphic code for Brighton) will be open both days serving pasties and sausage rolls as well as hot & cold drinks and light snacks.
Located on the station platform will be our small catering outlet serving hot & cold drinks and light refreshments.
Our temporary catering outlet now located under the canopy on Platforms 2 & 3 will be open with hot & cold drinks along with light refreshments.
Are you a locomotive or enthusiasts group and have a sales stand?
If you have a locomotive group sales stand and want the opportunity to raise much needed funds for your project then we are delighted to offer pitches for sales stands at our diesel galas. Just get in touch with our General Manager here and we’ll aim to slot you in, there is no charge for a pitch, we just ask for a donation of around £20.
Where to stay?
There are many places to stay in Tunbridge Wells West but we suggest you book in advance to make sure you can stay over and enjoy the whole weekend!
• Tunbridge Wells Bed and Breakfast - Click here
• The Lancers Bed & Breakfast - Click here
• The Brick House Bed & Breakfast - Click here
• Alconbury Guest House Bed and Breakfast - Click here
• Tunbridge Wells Travelodge - Click here - sells out fast and also the cheapest hotel.
• Smith and Western, just accross the road from Tunbridge Wells West - Click here
The nearest campsites to the Spa Valley Railway can be found here, the campsite we run past is for Scout Groups only, not for the general public.
Being a very popular tourist destination, Royal Tunbridge Wells and the surrounding area can book up early throughout the year so don't delay, reserve your room today!
How to find us?
The railway's Tunbridge Wells West address is: West Station, Neville Terrace, Royal Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN2 5QY and we can be located at the Western end of the town by Sainsbury's and Homebase. Brown tourist signs in the area will assist in guidance and there are two Pay & Display Car Parks within 5-10 minutes’ walk of Tunbridge Wells West Station located at Union House, Linden Close and Major York's Road.
Eridge Station can be accessed off of the main A26 Tunbridge Wells to Lewes Road. The station has a large Pay & DIsplay Car Park and currently at weekends is just £2 to park all day.
There is very limited parking at Groombridge Station. High Rocks Station has a large free car park and signage is available from Tunbridge Wells to the Rocks themselves.
For Sat Navs the railway is located at the following post codes:
• Tunbridge Wells West: TN2 5QY
• High Rocks: TN3 9JJ
• Groombridge: TN3 9RD
• Eridge: TN3 9LE
The easiest station you can get to us via rail travel is Eridge where our trains depart from Platform 2 or you can arrive via Tunbridge Wells Mainline after a 10-15 minute walk down the town through the very famous Pantiles. Please check National Rail Enquiries before travelling.
If you select an e-ticket please ensure you print it off and bring it with you on the day.
Note that a £10 admin fee applies to all booking alterations. Seats are NOT guaranteed.