‘Warship’ Driver Experience – Class 42 D821 ‘Greyhound’
Take to the controls of the Diesel Hydraulic locomotive D821 ‘Greyhound’ for just £350 between Tunbridge Wells West & Eridge with carriages too! D821 appears courtesy of the Diesel Traction Group and Severn Valley Railway.
Departing at 09:30, 12:50 and 16:10 with two spaces available per time slot you can drive the locomotive for 10 miles and act as 2nd Man for a further 10 miles giving you a total of 20 miles in the cab of this twin Maybach powered locomotive.
The experience starts at Tunbridge Wells West where you will meet our Driving Instructor and have the opportunity to familiarize yourselves with the controls before you depart with stock to Groombridge.
At Groombridge you’ll be keeping a close eye out for the signals and following the instructions from the signalman on duty. Having brought the train to a stand in our run-round loop you will uncouple and proceed light engine to Eridge, the final mile of the line being next to the national rail network!
Upon arrival at Eridge there’ll be time for some photographs before returning back to Groombridge to collect the coaches and then make your way back up the hill to Tunbridge Wells West. A further trip will then be spent with D821 back down to Eridge and return!
These experiences are sold in pairs so you will share with another participant (unless you buy both of course!), each participant per slow will have an equal opportunity to drive and 2nd Man D821, who does first will be decided on the day!
What’s included in the Warship Driver Experience Package:
• Drive of Class 42 D821 ‘Greyhound’ for 10 miles over the whole line, 7 miles with carriages, 3 miles light engine.
• 2nd Man on D821 for 10 miles, a total of 20 miles on the locomotive.
• Complimentary tickets for up to three guests to travel on the train.
• Commemorative certificate.
• Spa Valley Railway Guide Book and Goody Bag!
Please note the following/terms and conditions applicable to D821 Driver Experiences:
• Participants must be aged 18 or over and in good health.
• D821 is subject to availability.
• Please note this experience is only open to two persons per time slot and we cannot accommodate any guests in the driving cab.
• You or the participant must be able to climb a 6ft vertical ladder unaided to gain access to the locomotives footplate.
• You must not be under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
• Non-flammable clothing that covers both arms and legs plus strong footwear are required.
• We recommend a boiler suit and steel toe capped boots.
• The Spa Valley reserves the right to cancel or suspend a driver experience if the participant is suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs or is seen to be physically not fit enough to undertake the experience.
• Please do bring a camera if you wish!
We reserve the right to alter the contents of a driver experience without prior warning.
• We reserve the right to change locomotives without prior warning for whatever reason, this may be due to failure.
• Please make sure you arrive 15 minutes prior to your experience commencing.
• Locomotives or units are all subject to availability, they are over 50yrs old and so from time to time suffer failures, we therefore reserve the right to alter the locomotive used on any driver experience be it steam or diesel.
• In the event D821 is not available then an alternative date or locomotive will be offered, D821 is visiting the Spa Valley Railway from August to mid-September.
You MUST bring your physical printed or e-ticket with you on the day to show the locomotive crew, therefore if you select an e-ticket please ensure you print it off and bring it with you on the day.
You must also adhere to our terms & conditions and wear the correct clothing/boots for the experience.
Note that a £10 admin fee applies to all booking alterations.
Booking with vTicket