Spa Valley Railway » Driver Experience!
Take to the controls of one of our resident diesel locomotives for just £300 between Tunbridge Wells West & Groombridge (7 miles round trip)!
Experiences will depart at 10:45, 12:10, 13:40 and 15:00 from Tunbridge Wells West. The experience starts at Tunbridge Wells West where you will meet our Driving Instructor and have the opportunity to familiarize yourselves with the controls before you depart, with you at the controls, to Groombridge.
At Groombridge you’ll be keeping a close eye out for the signals and following the instructions from the signalman on duty. Having brought the loco to a stand in our station you will change ends and then make your way back up the hill to Tunbridge Wells West.
Please arrive at least 15 minutes before your experience is due to start!
Sunday 18th August - Class 31/4 31430 'Sister Dora'
What’s included in the Light Engine Diesel Driver Experience Package:
• Drive of resident loco 31430, 33063 or 73140 for 7 miles light engine.
• Complimentary tickets for up to four guests to travel on the day's service train.
• Commemorative certificate.
• Spa Valley Railway Guide Book and Goody Bag!
Please note the following/terms and conditions applicable to Driver Experiences:
• Participants must be aged 18 or over and in good health.
• Any locomotive offered is subject to availability, and we reserve the right to alter the locomotive used at any time.
• Please note this experience is only open to one person per time slot and we cannot accommodate any guests in the driving cab.
• You or the participant must be able to climb a 6ft vertical ladder unaided to gain access to the locomotives footplate.
• You must not be under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
• Non-flammable clothing that covers both arms and legs plus strong footwear are required.
• We recommend a boiler suit and steel toe capped boots.
• The Spa Valley reserves the right to cancel or suspend a driver experience if the participant is suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs or is seen to be physically not fit enough to undertake the experience.
• Please do bring a camera if you wish!
• We reserve the right to alter the contents of a driver experience without prior warning.
• We reserve the right to change locomotives without prior warning for whatever reason, this may be due to failure.
• Please make sure you arrive 15 minutes prior to your experience commencing.
• Locomotives or units are all subject to availability, they are over 50yrs old and so from time to time suffer failures, we therefore reserve the right to alter the locomotive used on any driver experience be it steam or diesel.
You MUST bring your physical printed or e-ticket with you on the day to show the locomotive crew, therefore if you select an e-ticket please ensure you print it off and bring it with you on the day.
You must also adhere to our terms & conditions and wear the correct clothing/boots for the experience.
Note that a £10 admin fee applies to all booking alterations.
Booking with vTicket