Our well known and extremely popular Summer Diesel Gala is back in 2018 with a Deltic!
Our annual and well known three-day Summer Diesel extravaganza, will commence at 09:30 on Friday 3rd August with a variety of locomotives in action over the three day event including the visit of a 'Deltic'!
Courtesy of the Deltic Preservation Society Class 55 55019 'Royal Highland Fusilier' will be visiting the Spa Valley Railway in August 2018 and will star in our Summer Diesel Gala alongside our homefleet and hopefully some other visiting locomotives! Built to haul express passenger trains, such as the Flying Scotsman, the sight of a Deltic passing through the High Weald will be one to remember!
Tickets for this event will go on sale much closer to the event with a 25% discount, they will also be available to buy on the day however the discount will not apply.
- Drewry 2591 'Southerham'
- Class 09 09026 'Cedric Wares'
- Class 10 D3489 'Colonel Tomline'
- Class 33/0 33063 'R.J.Mitchell'
- Class 33/2 33201
- Class 55 55019 'Royal Highland Fusilier' - Courtesy of the Deltic Preservation Society
- Class 73 73140
- Class 207 DEMU 1317
- Class 421 3CIG 1497 'Freshwater'
All locomotives/units are subject to availability.
Evening 'Real Ale' & Dining Trains
Our popular evening real ale trains will run on the Friday and Saturday nights, these are combined on both evenings with one of our Fish & Chip Supper trains, bookings for both of these trains have now opened. Click here
Bar car 'Kate' will be open throughout with a large selection of real ales and ciders on offer for you to enjoy, our trains will run until approximately 22:00 on the Friday and 23:00 the Saturday.
Tunbridge Wells West
- Our buffet car serving light refreshments.
- Part of shed open for public viewing subject to staff availability.
- Sales stands including the Network South East Society & South East Locomotive Group.
- Deltic Preservation Society Sales Stand
- Station shop stocking a large variety of diesel traction produce.
- Access to the famous High Rocks or Tea Garden Lane which can provide great photographic opportunities.
- High Rocks Inn and garden.
- A great place to watch the trains from the Inns' garden.
- Please note that not all trains will serve High Rocks.
- Trains passing all three days.
- The popular BBQ!
- Refreshments, including real ale, available at the station.
- Lots of books on our bookstall under the Tunbridge Wells West end canopy, grab a bargain!
- Driver for a Fiver/Brake Van Rides with our Drewry locomotive from the station to the Ashurst Spur & rtn
- Mainline connections with Southern services to Central London, East Croydon, Oxted and Uckfield.
- Real ale and cider bar in the waiting room all three days along with snacks, hot and cold drinks.
- 'Driver for a Fiver'
Our award winning on train bar will be open all three days from the first trains departure to the last trains arrival, this includes the Friday and Saturday evening trains. 'Kate' will be open for the sale of real ale and cider, wines (inc. Prosecco) spirits, largers, sandwiches, bacon & sausage rolls, crisps, biscuits and other light refreshments throughout the day.
Set up as per previous years will be a real ale & cider bar with a selection of locally sourced beverages on offer.
Our ex BIG TSO(RB) from unit No.2254 (Buffet Brighton, B for Buffet and IG the LB&SCR telegraphic code for Brighton) will be open on all four days serving pasties and sausage rolls as well as sandwiches, crisps, snacks, soft drinks, teas, coffees and other light refreshments.
There'll be a BBQ on the station near to the Signal Box with real ale & cider in the Van Body also near the Signal Box. At the Tunbridge Wells West end of the station our catering hut will be open serving sandwiches, crisps, snacks, soft drinks, teas, coffees and other light refreshments.
In the Waiting Room a real ale & cider bar will be set up and there'll also be the opportunity to purchase sandwiches, crisps, snacks, soft drinks, teas, coffees and other light refreshments.
Brake Van Rides - Groombridge Station to Ashurst Spur
Throughout the gala when there are no trains present our Drewry locomotive 'Southerham' will operate between Groombridge station and the Ashurst Spur with our London Transport brake van offering unique trips down one of our rarely used sidings and a close up with the usually inaccessible disused railway towards Ashurst Junction. The total distance is around 1/2 mile for a round trip.
There is no extra charge for these brake van rides providing you are a rover ticket holder, the timings of their departures will be advertised much closer to the event.
There are many places to stay in Tunbridge Wells West during the summer but we suggest you book in advance to make sure you can stay over and enjoy the whole gala, the town is a very popular tourist attraction so accomodation books up fast!
- Tunbridge Wells Bed and Breakfast - Click here
- The Lancers Bed & Breakfast - Click here
- The Brick House Bed & Breakfast - Click here
- Alconbury Guest House Bed and Breakfast - Click here
- Tunbridge Wells Travelodge - Click here - sells out fast and also the cheapest hotel.
- Smith and Western, just across the road from Tunbridge Wells West - Click here
The nearest campsites to the Spa Valley Railway can be found here, the campsite we run past is for Scout Groups only, not for the general public.
How to find us?
The railway's Tunbridge Wells West address is: West Station, Neville Terrace, Royal Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN2 5QY and we can be located at the Western end of the town by Sainsbury's and Homebase. Brown tourist signs in the area will assist in guidance and there are two Pay & Display Car Parks within 5-10 minutes’ walk of Tunbridge Wells West Station located at Union House, Linden Close and Major York's Road.
Eridge Station can be accessed off of the main A26 Tunbridge Wells to Lewes Road. The station has a large Pay & DIsplay Car Park and currently at weekends is just £2 to park all day.
There is very limited parking at Groombridge Station. High Rocks Station has a large free car park and signage is available from Tunbridge Wells to the Rocks themselves.
For Sat Navs the railway is located at the following post codes:
- Tunbridge Wells West: TN2 5QY
- High Rocks: TN3 9JJ
- Groombridge: TN3 9RD
- Eridge: TN3 9LE
The easiest station you can get to us via rail travel is Eridge where our trains depart from Platform 2 or you can arrive via Tunbridge Wells Mainline after a 10-15 minute walk down the town through the very famous Pantiles. Please check National Rail Enquiries before travelling.
If you select an e-ticket please ensure you print it off and bring it with you on the day!
Note that a £10 admin fee applies to all booking alterations. Seats are NOT guaranteed.